The Name Thirst Missions
Have you ever wondered where the name Thirst Missions comes from? Well, you’re in the right place to find out! Here’s the answer: it comes from scripture.
The Scripture Behind the Name
Thirst Missions is founded on the story of the woman at the well in John Chapter 4:
“Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never THIRST. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
These people are:
- The new congregation members attending church for the first time
- The homeless men and women showing up to the soup kitchen not sure where they will be safe to sleep that night
- The kids who have never been brought to church on a Sunday, but were invited by their friend to come to VBS over the summer
- The single mothers doing their best to raise their children while juggling 2 full-time jobs
- The family that was displaced because of flooding
- The drug addict struggling to get sober
- And so many more
In John Chapter 4, Jesus encountered a Samaritan woman at a well. Jesus knew she returned day after day to this well to quench her physical THIRST. He also knew she had a different kind of THIRST that only he could satisfy.
There are people all over the world today that are thirsting and they are seeking to quench that THIRST by returning over and over to the things of this world. That is why THIRST MISSIONS exists. We exist to introduce thirsting people to the living water that Jesus offered the woman at the well.
Would you like to help us spread the word? If you are interested in registering for a mission trip to Alaska, Appalachia, Belize, or Puerto Rico you can contact us for more information and register here.